Re: point-in-time recovery

От Rajesh Kumar Mallah
Тема Re: point-in-time recovery
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Friday 25 Apr 2003 8:17 pm, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Rajesh Kumar Mallah wrote:
> > Thanks for responding , but i still have
> > more to discuss.

> > > You can do a dump,
> >
> > Do u mean pg_dump here, or some special command
> > thats doing a quick snapshot dump?
>
> You do one pg_dump, the start PITR logging.

I dunno Abt the general case but we have seen
more instances of data loss by our own actions  (faulty SQL eg)
rather than HW's or postgresql's

Say for my live database.
Say i start my pg_dump at 5:00p and it finishes say by 5:30p
then i give the command for PITR logging at 5:31

Then i accidently delete at say 9pm

Then am i expected to :
1. restore the snapshot of 5:00 pm
2. ROLL FORWARD using PITR log till 8:59 or so
   using some special command ?

In that case what happens to the transactions from 5:00pm
to 5:30 pm which were not captured in the pg_dump nor in the
PITR log?

I have read WAL does transaction logging is PITR log
synonymous to WAL log or its different ?

Sorry i do not have RDBMS experience in any other than PostgreSQL
thats why not aware of PITR but i search the web and found this
feature is called tablespace PITR (TSPITR) in Oracle but unless
you have worked on it its difficult to understand.

Regds
Mallah.

--
Rajesh Kumar Mallah,