Re: password leak in mylog thru win odbc

От Chris Gamache
Тема Re: password leak in mylog thru win odbc
Дата
Список pgsql-odbc
--- pg <pg@newhonest.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your suggestion.
> 1. Does the pgExpress work with VB?

My mistake... It is a Delphi dbExpress component. There is a native access
ActiveX component distributed by dbExperts (www.dbExperts.net) with their
dbExperts PostgreSQL. I believe it is a single threaded ActiveX .dll, which
would preclude using it in a server environment. However, in a single user
environment (one or many single-client applications, all running on seperate
machines, connecting to one back-end database), it might do the trick.

> 2. Should the commonly used win 32 ODBC consider some way to stop the leak
> I'm talking about? My suggestion : mylog can be enabled only when the user
> (the one who wants to enable the log) has the rights at the server side. So
> each connection will has different rights and mylogs.

ODBC is strictly a client-side interface protocol. Its logging functions
originate and terminate on the client side. In some cases, ODBC is used
serverside as a client interface. If the user has control over the ODBC
component, then they have control over its logging functions. Without knowing
your network architecture, and the proposed deployment for your application,
the best that I can suggest is to not use ODBC, and use a native interface or
another middle-tier solution that meets your specifications.