Re: server won't shutdown

От Ed L.
Тема Re: server won't shutdown
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Monday February 17 2003 8:06, Tom Lane wrote:

> You can demonstrate the problem by doing 'LISTEN foo' in one psql
> and then 'NOTIFY foo' in another, then attempting a fast shutdown
> --- the first psql's backend will ignore you until the psql session
> does something. The same path can be followed without LISTEN if the
> first psql is simply left idle while the second one does a bunch of
> catalog-updating work (a few cycles of VACUUM ANALYZE usually
> suffice).

Thanks, Tom.  Your diagnosis sounds consistent with our experience.  I
was able to reproduce it with the latter approach of running a bunch
of VACUUM ANALYZE commands.  However, I have been unable to
demonstrate this on 7.3.1 using the following sequence:

session #1 launches psql
session #2 launches psql
session #1 does "listen foo;"
session #2 does "notify foo;"
session #3 does a fast shutdown;

All backends immediately shutdown, no hanging.

Anyway, I'm applying the patch and will advise if any further issues
show up.

Ed