Re: Linux.conf.au 2003 Report

От Kurt Roeckx
Тема Re: Linux.conf.au 2003 Report
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 09:13:18AM -0500, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> Soon, the NAT + CIDR bag-on-the-side will run out of room, and people
> will have no choice but to use IPv6.  But the pain of making them
> interoperate is part of the cause of resistance.  The compatibility
> addresses are going to _have_ to work if people are really going to
> move, unless someone is contemplating another great TCP/IP cutover
> day.

What do you mean with "compatibility addresses"?  I don't know of
any such thing.

The ipv4 mapped ipv6 address is just a "hack" on the local
system.  You never see those "on the wire".

Anyway, what is the problem?  ipv4 and ipv6 can happely live on
the same network, it does so far a long time now.  Host just
support both ipv4 and ipv6 now.  If an application is written
properly, you shouldn't even notice the connection is over ipv4
or ipv6.

Kurt