Re: Initdb fails... Again!

От Jason Tishler
Тема Re: Initdb fails... Again!
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
Dan,

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 07:22:48PM +0100, Dan Holmsand wrote:
> Jason Tishler wrote:
> >BTW, by "sysv start script" do you mean using the sysvinit package.
> >If so, then how did you get around the following issues:
> >
> >    http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-11/msg00669.html
> >    http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-11/msg00677.html
> >    http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-11/msg00838.html
>
> Yeah, sysvinit and initscripts. I've been hoping something like that
> would show up in cygwin for quite some time, so I've struggled a bit
> to make it work.
>
> [snip]
>
> But then I noticed that su actually *does* work if a privileged enough
> user with uid 0 (i.e. "root") runs it.  [snip]
>
> But now it works (almost) perfectly, running apache, cron, sshd,
> xinetd, ipc-daemon and postmaster. The only problem I've seen is that
> cron restarts itself as SYSTEM, even when started as root, for some
> reason.

Thanks for the above description.  However, creating another privileged
user, root, in addition to LocalSystem is unnecessary and dangerous.
Instead, I would use my patch to su (the first URL above) so su will run
under LocalSystem on Cygwin the same way it would under root on other
Unixes.  With this patched su, you can then run init under LocalSystem
as recommended.

Jason