Re: postmaster does not shut down

От John Smith
Тема Re: postmaster does not shut down
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin

Same thing happens if I close the window if started with 'postmaster' (btw is there a way to specify the log file this way?).

postmaster shows up in the services, but gives this message when trying to start:

'Could not start the postmaster service on Local Computer. The service did not return an error. This could be an interal Windows error or an internal service error.'

John

 Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:

John Smith wrote:
> I just deleted the pid file and started PG again. I guess closing the
> window kills it?

Ahhh... you started PostgreSQL from a cygwin window with:

$ pg_ctl start

and then closed the window? It does seem to like keeping the window
open. Have you tried starting it using postmaster instead?

$ postmaster -D /path/to/your/data/directory -i

Not sure that will work, but it's a though.

When PostgreSQL is configured to start as a service, it seems to be much
easier. You can then just start it from the "Services" part of the
Windows control panel (depending which operating system you're using of
course).

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> John

who work and those who take the c redit. He told me to try to be in the
- Indira Gandhi