Re: Postgres 7.3.1 on Windows XP Home / Professional

От Jason Tishler
Тема Re: Postgres 7.3.1 on Windows XP Home / Professional
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
Sean,

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 08:31:16AM +0100, Sean Carlos wrote:
> I'd like to thank you all for your fine work.   I'm working on
> prototyping a system for a non-profit organization and wanted to share
> the following information based on my experience getting Postgres to
> work, at least for development, on Windows XP.

You are very welcome and thanks for sharing your experiences.

> - I have gotten postgres 7.3.1 to run on both Home & Prof. Editions -
> including creating a basic db and populating it with data; I have also
> been able to run pgadmin II & pgaccess on xp pro.

Very cool!

> - The user "postgres" requires a password for the service to work
> under xp.  Otherwise, an error "1369" occurs when starting the
> service.  Thus,

The above is necessary for NT and 2000 too.

>     # net user postgres <postgres pass> /add /fullname:postgres
> /comment:'PostgreSQL user account' /homedir:"$(cygpath -w /home/postgres)"
>
>      -> where <postgres pass> is a user-defined password.

I have updated my README to reflect the above.

> - XP home lacks user policy management, so this step
>
>              2. Grant the "postgres" user the "Log on as a service" user
> right:
>
>              # cmd /c secpol.msc # [3] [4] [5]
>
> happens the first time you start the service in win xp home.

Please elaborate.  Is the above step unnecessary?  Or, does something
like a dialog pops up the first time the service is started?

> There are several things I still need to verify, but it appears that the
> postgres user should be an administrator (changed using windows control
> panel user manager panel)

Is the above just for XP Home?  Or, XP Pro too?

> and several changes need to be made to file permissions:
>
> $chown 544 /usr/bin
> $chmod 755 /usr/bin
> $chmod +x+r+w /usr/bin/postgres.exe

The above is really handled by Cygwin setup.exe.  If there are XP issues
with setup.exe, then please take them to the Cygwin list.  Note that
other apps could be affected too.

> -- but -- I haven't yet verified this completely with a clean reinstall.

Please do.  Your experience seems to be much more in line with my
expectations and less problematic then other XP (Home) reports.

> I hope in any case this information is helpful.

Yes!  It is very helpful.  Would you be willing to help me update my
README to deal with XP Home and Pro?  If so, patches would be best.
However, email with changes and additions would be gratefully accepted
too.

Thanks,
Jason