Re: Good (introductory) book

От Christoph Dalitz
Тема Re: Good (introductory) book
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 08:04:39 -0500
pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org wrote:

> Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 06:07:42 -0600
> From: "Boget, Chris" <chris@wild.net>
>
> What would you guys recommend as a good
> introductory book for PG?  One that talks
> about and goes into the features, use and
> administration of PG and not necessarily
> just SQL?

I found "PostgreSQL - professionell und praxisnah" by Jens Hartwig to be
the best currently avalable book on Postgres. Unfortunately it is only
available in German.

Here is my review that I have sent several months ago to
the maintainer of the PG Book-Review sites (it has not (yet?) found
its way on the web site):

This book aims at developers with some basic database experience
who want to explore PostgreSQL. It spans the bow from installation and
administration over transcation management and advanced PG-specific features
(listen, blobs, rules, regexps...) up to server side (PL/PGSQL, C functions)
and client side programming (libpq, esql, libpq++, jdbc, php).

Unlike other introductory textbooks, which leave you at a loss when
trying to accomplish more than the trivial examples in those textbooks,
this book covers all topics in considerable depth. Strongly
recommended not only to database professionals, but also to newbies looking
for a somewhat beefier introduction to PostgreSQL.

Christoph Dalitz

От: "kanchana"
Сообщение: Re: Fw: configure error with krb5
От: Justin Clift
Сообщение: Re: Good (introductory) book