Re: asynchronous psql command options?

От Christopher Smith
Тема Re: asynchronous psql command options?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

disk space ran out.  Is it possible to predict the filename to be used for indexes and hence create a link to another open disk.

I think that the filename used are oids?

please advise

 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

Christopher Smith writes:
> i used psql via ssh on dial-up and closed the ssh client. I logged in
> again and it showed that the postmater process was still running.. I
> thought that the index building process would continue 'til
> completion.

> however, this morning no indexes were built. Is it possible to send
> commands via psql asynchronous. Does anyone know why the index
> building process stopped?

It worked for me in a quick test here: issue CREATE INDEX command,
"kill -9" the psql client from another window, wait for indexing to
finish.

I wonder whether you had started a transaction block, viz
begin;
create index ...;
<>
Without a commit to match the begin, the index would be discarded.

Another likely prospect is that the CREATE INDEX command actuall y failed
(ran out of disk space, for example). Did you look in the postmaster
log to see if any error message was recorded?

regards, tom lane

Do you Yahoo!?

Сообщение: Re: asynchronous psql command options?
Сообщение: Re: asynchronous psql command options?