Re: Upgrading rant.

От Lamar Owen
Тема Re: Upgrading rant.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sunday 05 January 2003 23:10, Tom Lane wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> > It is very possible that the supporting libc shared libraries
> > will be removed by the OS upgrade -- the old binaries may not even run
> > when it is critical that they do run.

> Urgh, that's a mess.

Yah, it is a mess.  I've been playing in that mudpit for three years....

> > If I can get older versions building again on newer systems, that will
> > help buy some breathing room from my point of view.

> Worst-case, we could include a back-rev postmaster binary in new
> distributions.

While I have in the past suggested this, I'm not happy with the idea, even
though it may be the best short-term solution.

> However, that still requires us to keep the back revs
> buildable on newer OS releases, which evidently is less than trivial
> in the Linux world :-(

That is the wonderful result of having so many rapidly developing
applications, including our own.  We have, I'm sure, given a few ulcers to
Linux distributors too.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Сообщение: Re: Question about bit.h and bit.c
Сообщение: Re: Question about bit.h and bit.c