Re: Patch for streaming resultsets [Viruschecked]

От Patric Bechtel
Тема Re: Patch for streaming resultsets [Viruschecked]
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
On 03 Jan 2003 09:30:18 -0500, Dave Cramer wrote:

Dave,

that's what the useServerPrepare URL property is for. Anyone not
liking (or sort of...) the behaviour of the driver can alter it
so that prepared statements NEVER get prepared on the server.
You can still use setUseServerPrepared(true) to alter this again
for eg. one special query, but the default then is never (or always).
The JDBC API only differentiates between Statements and Prepared
Statements, which is a bit poor for us Postgres users. Normally
(I'm speaking in M$ or DB/2 conventions) its ALWAYS no difference
between prepare statements or ad hoc execution. If you then reuse
the prepared statement thereafter, the optimizer knows what to do
and you'll get a performance win.
That should be the same on Postgres (and later will be that way,
I'm sure...). But for the moment, there's a small chance, that
prepared statements get not really optimized to the very last bit,
which normally isn't that bad as it first sounds like.
But if you repeatadly execute a prepared statement over and over,
you'll win; less preparation time on the client, less on the server,
so you make the bet.

We could even vote if prepared statements by default get prepared
on the server or not. I could easily change the behaviour.
My +1 for the current behaviour of my patch. :-)

tia
Patric