Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
> > The issue isn't whether the app is broken or not, (it is), but the
> > fact that we ****CHANGED**** behavior with ****NO**** notice
>
> There was notice, to them as were paying attention (eg, anyone who tried
> a beta release).  More to the point, I can name half a dozen other
> incompatible changes in 7.3 (most, but not all, forced by schema
> support) that will undoubtedly break some apps.  We cannot have a
> transition plan and backwards-compatibility kluge for every little
> compatibility issue, or our progress will grind to a standstill.

That is a good point.  Though we knew about the atoi '' potential
incompatibility, there are certainly others, some of which we weren't
even aware of.  (We just got SSL fixed in 7.3.1.)  So, while we can do
GUC params for some of the big changes, we still aren't going to be able
to hit them all.

> According to the start of this thread, RT's author has recommended that
> RT users stick to PG 7.2 until he can fix the app.  That seems a
> perfectly sensible answer to me.

I have a patch I will post now.