Is is possible to persuade the query planner that ~* operations are grossly expensive?

От Nick Howden
Тема Is is possible to persuade the query planner that ~* operations are grossly expensive?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Is is possible to persuade the query planner that ~* operations are grossly
expensive - or at least much more expensive than some other operations.

My reason is that I have a databsase on which we do a lot of queries of the
form

SELECT
 *
FROM
 primary_table
 secondary_table as t1
 secondary_table as t2

WHERE primary_table.id = t1.id
AND  primary_table.id = t2.id

AND t1.col1 = 1
AND t2.col1 = 2
AND primary_table.blob ~* 'wibble';

unfortunately the query optimiser always tries to do the ~* operator before
it has done the other (more selective) queries, and over 100,000+ rows this
is very slow.

So, can I force the query optimizer to delay doing the ~* until after the
selective joins?
--
Nick Howden -  Senior IT Analyst
QinetiQ Trusted Information Management

For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution,
or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information is
prohibited and may be unlawful