Re: Big 7.4 items

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Big 7.4 items
Дата
Re: Big 7.4 items  (Janardhan <jana-reddy@mediaring.com.sg>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Patrick Macdonald wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > I wanted to outline some of the big items we are looking at for 7.4:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > Point-In-Time Recovery (PITR)
> >
> >         J. R. Nield did a PITR patch late in 7.3 development, and Patrick
> >         MacDonald from Red Hat is working on merging it into CVS and
> >         adding any missing pieces.  Patrick, do you have an ETA on that?
>
> Neil Conway and I will be working on this starting the beginning
> of January.  By the middle of January, we hope to have a handle on
> an ETA.

Ewe, that is later than I was hoping.  I have put J.R's PITR patch up
at:
ftp://candle.pha.pa.us/pub/postgresql/PITR_20020822_02.gz

(I have tried to contact J.R. several times over the past few months,
with no reply.)

J.R felt it was ready to go.  I would like to have an evaluation of the
patch to know what it does and what is missing.  I would like that
sooner rather than later because:
o  I want to avoid too much code drifto  I don't want to find there are major pieces missing and to    not have enough
timeto implement them in 7.4o  It is a big feature so I would like sufficient testing before beta

OK, I just talked to Patrick on the phone, and he says Neil Conway is
working on merging the code into 7.3, and adding missing pieces like
logging table creation.  So, it seems PITR is moving forward.  Neil, can
you comment on where you are with this, and what still needs to be done?
Do we need to start looking at log archiving options?  How is the PITR
log contents different from the WAL log contents, except of course no
pre-write page images?

If we need to discuss things, perhaps we can do it now and get folks
working on other pieces, or at least thinking about them.

Pennsylvania19073