Re: PQnotifies() in 7.3 broken?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: PQnotifies() in 7.3 broken?
Дата
Re: PQnotifies() in 7.3 broken?  ("Jeroen T. Vermeulen" <jtv@xs4all.nl>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian writes:
> >> Do I need to increment the other interfaces that
> >> _use_ libpq, like ecpg?
>
> > If and only if the libpq API is part of their documented API.  For ecpg I
> > think this is not the case, but for libpq++ it would seem to be the case.
>
> However, an app linked against libpq++ would also be linked against
> libpq, and so the incompatibility will be flagged by the linker anyway.
> I can see no need to bump libpq++'s own number.

New question --- didn't we change the externally visible PGNotify
structure in libpq-fe.h in 7.3, and as returned by PQnotifies:
PGnotify *PQnotifies(PGconn *conn)

meaning if ecpg references PGnotify, should it have a new major number
too, so actually, we did change the API in 7.3 and not just the binary
compatibility.

Pennsylvania19073