Re: Library Versions (was: PQnotifies() in 7.3 broken?)

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Library Versions (was: PQnotifies() in 7.3 broken?)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
OK, I have added this to tools/RELEASE_CHANGES. New file attached.

Lee Kindness wrote:
> Guys, can I take this chance to summarise the thread and when the
> major and minor versions should be updated, perhaps could be added to
> the developers FAQ if everyone is in agreement?
>
> Major Version
> =============
>
> The major version number should be updated whenever the source of the
> library changes to make it binary incompatible. Such changes include,
> but limited to:
>
> 1. Removing a public function or structure (or typedef, enum, ...)
>
> 2. Modifying a public functions arguments.
>
> 3. Removing a field from a public structure.
>
> 3. Adding a field to a public structure, unless steps have been
> previously taken to shield users from such a change, for example by
> such structures only ever being allocated/instantiated by a library
> function which would give the new field a suitable default value.
>
> Adding a new function would NOT force an increase in the major version
> number. When the major version is increased all applications which
> link to the library MUST be recompiled - this is not desirable. When
> the major version is updated the minor version gets reset.
>
> Minor Version
> =============
>
> The minor version number should be updated whenever the functionality
> of the library has changed, typically and change in source code
> between releases would mean an increase in the minor version number so
> long as it does not require a major version increase.
>
> Thanks, Lee.

* Version numbers
    configure.in and configure
    bump interface version numbers
      o src/interfaces/*/Makefile
      o src/interfaces/libpq/libpq.rc
      o src/include/pg_config.h.win32

* Release notes
    update HISTORY and later doc/src/sgml/release.sgml

* Documentation
    document all new features
    update help output from inside the programs
    doc/src/sgml/ref manual pages

* Ports
    update ports list in doc/src/sgml/installation.sgml
    platform-specific FAQ's, if needed

* Miscellaneous files
    doc/bug.template

* Update pg_upgrade to handle new version, or disable

* Update copyright year?

Major Version
=============

The major version number should be updated whenever the source of the
library changes to make it binary incompatible. Such changes include,
but are not limited to:

[...]

Minimizing Changes
==================

When modifying public functions arguments, steps should be taken to
maintain binary compatibility across minor PostgreSQL releases (e.g. the
7.2 series, the 7.3 series, the 7.4/8.0 series). Consider the following
function:

    void print_stuff(int arg1, int arg2)
    {
        printf("stuff: %d %d\n", arg1, arg2);
    }

If we wanted to add a third argument:

    void print_stuff(int arg1, int arg2, int arg3)
    {
        printf("stuff: %d %d %d\n", arg1, arg2, arg3);
    }

Then doing it like this:

    void print_stuff2(int arg1, int arg2, int arg3)
    {
        printf("stuff: %d %d %d\n", arg1, arg2, arg3);
    }

    void print_stuff(int arg1, int arg2)
    {
        print_stuff(arg1, arg2, 0);
    }

would maintain binary compatibility. Obviously this would add a fair
bit of cruft if used extensively, but considering the changes between
minor versions would probably be worthwhile to avoid bumping library
major version. Naturally in the next major version print_stuff() would
assume the functionality and arguments of print_stuff2().

Lee Kindness