Re: PQnotifies() in 7.3 broken?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: PQnotifies() in 7.3 broken?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Oliver Elphick wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 05:34, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> > >
> > > Major.  I thought you did it already?
> >
> > I did only minor, which I knew was safe.  Do folks realize this will
> > require recompile of applications by 7.3 users moving to 7.3.1?  That
> > seems very drastic, and there have been very few problem reports about
> > the NOTIFY change.
>
> If the ABI is different, they need to recompile but don't have any
> indication of it.  This is bad.
>
> If the major number changes, they can keep the old library around for
> the benefits of applications that have not yet been recompiled, while
> newly compiled applications can use the new library
>
> So please change it.

The point is that we are changing it for 7.3.1, so though 7.3 libpq is
almost identical to 7.3.1 libpq, we are going to bump the major and
force recompile.  The binary API change was from 7.2 to 7.3, not 7.3 to
7.3.1.  Do people still want a major bump in 7.3.1?

Clearly we should have bumped the major in 7.3, but we didn't.

Pennsylvania19073

Сообщение: Re: PQnotifies() in 7.3 broken?
Сообщение: Re: PQnotifies() in 7.3 broken?