Re: [GENERAL] One SQL to access two databases.

От Karel Zak
Тема Re: [GENERAL] One SQL to access two databases.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 08:56:41AM -0800, Joe Conway wrote:
> Karel Zak wrote:
> >On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 01:11:20PM -0800, Joe Conway wrote:
> >
> >>As I said, this is all very preliminary; comments, suggestions, requests
> >>are all welcome.
> >
> > Only idea/dream: what implement dblink as "virtual" schema.
> >
> > CREATE SCHEMA myschema AS DBLINK TO ... some connection options ...;
> >
> > SELECT * FROM myschema.tabname;
> >
> > This solution allows use dblink as really transparent.
>
> Yeah, something along these lines is in my long term vision, but I don't
> think it will happen for 7.4. I'd like one more contrib/dblink release for
> the code to mature, and to solidify the features and understand the common
> usage issues.
Agree. This expect load a lot of information about remote tables to BE forcorrect planner & executor running. BTW, do
youthink is possible loadthis information also from non-PostgreSQL servers (Oracle, DB2...)?The problem with multiple
client-SQLlibs in BE is only a small part of transparent DBLINK imlementetion.

> Hopefully for the release *after* 7.4 I'll be ready to make a proposal to
> integrate dblink into the backend, get it accepted, and get it implemented.
If you want to (a lot) use client library in backend it will need real andbetter memory managemnt for FE libs -- for
examplesame mmgr as use BE.

   Karel

-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: 7.4 Wishlist
От: "Dave Page"
Сообщение: Re: Shrinkwrap Windows Product, any issues? Anyone?