Re: HA for high insert volume

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: HA for high insert volume
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 04:27:33PM -0500, John Sequeira wrote:

> over has a very high # of INSERTS (it does a lot of logging),  and it
> seems like there might be too much overhead using something like usogres
> or one of the replication options.  We expect it to grow very quickly to

How many inserts?  We have tested eRServer (commercial version) to
> 1000 inserts per second, and it kept up reasonably well.

> Are people having luck using something like rsync in this instance?
> This document :
> http://www.taygeta.com/ha-postgresql.html
> describes using rsync,  but in the case where the #  of inserts is low.
>
> Is that working for people,  or is there a better way to do this?

It will not work safely.  This is exactly as dangerous as doing tar
backups of your filesystem, except that tar has to get all of the
files whereas rsync can get just the things that changed.  But there
is _certainly_ a window in which you could get an inconsistent
snapshot, and then your backup would be completely useless.  A high
volume of write operations is a good way to cause the problem.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110