Re: Multiple backends on a single physical database

От Jeff
Тема Re: Multiple backends on a single physical database
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Sat, 12 Oct 2002, [iso-8859-1] Ragnar Kj�rstad wrote:

> If pulling the plug causes database-corruption that proves that there is
> something wrong with NFS-setup, but if it _doesn't_ cause
> database-corruption that doesn't prove that it's safe - it could be that
> you're just lucky.
>
> This should be obvious, but I've seen too many people argument like
> "I've tested it twice and it didn't break so it must be safe".

Also keep in mind if the Postgres box is running on linux the joys that is
what linux does when an nfs mount "goes away" (unpingable).  On our
machines linux simply blocks in the kernel so you cannot even kill -9 the
applications (or unmount the mount!) granted things will resume once nfs
comes back.. but by that time your machine may be in Big Trouble(tm)

Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>                  http://www.jefftrout.com/
   Ronald McDonald, with the help of cheese soup,
       controls America from a secret volkswagon hidden in the past