Re: index performance question

От Nikolaus Dilger
Тема Re: index performance question
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Laurette,

It's not that easy.  As soon as you do any operation on
a column you the optimizer can no longer use a normal
index.  That's exactly why funcional indexes were
introduced.

It's easy to create
CREATE INDEX min_evtime
ON positions_plus (MIN(evtime));

BTW functional indexes were a new feature in Oracle 8i.
 So its a relatively new feature in flagship comercial
database.  And you would get the same poor performance
without the functional index in Oracle.

Regards,
Nikolaus

wrote:

> > > Aren't aggregates smart enough to use an
index on
> the column?  This takes 8
> > > minutes to run!  I can't see that I should
have to
> build a functional index
> > > (is it possible for an aggregate?) to get
this to
> run faster?
> >
> > I don't believe a functional index would work
for an
> aggregate.
> >
> > The way to do this is to use an order by clause
and a
> limit 1 clause.
> >
> > This has been discussed a lot on the lists and
you