Re: fsync or fdatasync

От Sean Chittenden
Тема Re: fsync or fdatasync
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> > > We'll be glad to consider changing the default for a specific
> > > platform if we have a reasonably convincing argument that the
> > > other value is better.  So far, not much study has been done of
> > > which method is best on which platforms (and under what load
> > > conditions).
> >
> > heh, just a quick note: I had one of FreeBSD's kernel guru's point
> > out that fsync() on linux is a no-op.  I haven't had that src tree
> > in years so I can't confirm, but I'm inclined to believe him.
> > Just an
>
> No, fsync() is not a no-op on linux.
> Unless the filesystem is mounted with o_sync, I suppose - then
> everything is written at write() so fsync() is not needed. But
> generally, it does sync.

Hrm, alright.  From what I've figured out, about ~6wk ago fsync() was
added to linux to have it actually fsync()... mind you someone quickly
turned around and created a new patchset that ripped the functionality
out and added it to an extreme linux distro.  ::shrug:: <opinion>Linux
is out of control.</opinion> -sc

PS This wasn't a flame/troll, just trying to figure out what the best
recommendation would be for FreeBSD and it is fsync().

--
Sean Chittenden