Re: Passwords and batch processes (was Re: Problem with Dump)

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Passwords and batch processes (was Re: Problem with Dump)
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
In 7.3, this is the docs for PGPASSWORD:

    PGPASSWORD sets the password used if the backend demands password
    authentication. This functionality is deprecated for security reasons;
    consider migrating to PGPASSWORDFILE.

It is more vague on the security issues, but it does recommend a new
feature PGPASSWORDFILE, which will allow the passwords to be kept in a
file:

    PGPASSWORDFILE sets the password file used if the backend demands
    password authentication. This file should have the format

      hostname:port:database:username:password

    Any of these may be a literal name, or a * that matches anything. The
    first match will be the one used, so put more specific entries first.
    Entries with : or \ should be escaped with \.