Re: Noobie Questions...

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Noobie Questions...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 10:38:49AM -0600, Dan Ostrowski wrote:

> 1) I have heard some bad things about the dump function in PostgreSQL. Is
> there an alternative and how do the backup options available stack up?

What bad things?  You should always use pg_dump to backup your
database.

> 2) Where would YOU go, if you had to, to find out exactly what kind of
> ANSI standards might be implemented in SQL 92? Specifically I have written

You want to know what's in the SQL 92 standard, or you want to know
where PostgreSQL violates the spec?  In the latter case, every
command listed in

<http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/sql-commands.html>

has a little bit at the end that tells you how compliant it is.

> me? In other words, I need to figure out what stuff will cross over from
> MySQL to PostgreSQL as far as SQL syntax goes. Any links?

Note that MySQL has some _really_ non-compliant bits, so you may have
to think more SQL-ishly to do some things that you are used to doing
in MySQL-ish ways.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110