Noobie Questions...

От Dan Ostrowski
Тема Noobie Questions...
Дата
Re: Noobie Questions...  (Andrew Sullivan <andrew@libertyrms.info>)
Список pgsql-general
Hello. I am a self taught PHP programmer looking to start using PostgreSQL
because It seems to have a more useful feature set than MySQL, and I am
starting on some VERY large projects. Also i like the sound of PL/Perl
since I am familiar with Perl.

I have a lot to learn in a short amount of time... ( so it will be just
like everything else *grin* ).. So I had a few questions:

1) I have heard some bad things about the dump function in PostgreSQL. Is
there an alternative and how do the backup options available stack up?

2) Where would YOU go, if you had to, to find out exactly what kind of
ANSI standards might be implemented in SQL 92? Specifically I have written
a lot of php Object files that use SQL queries, but they are mostly for
use on MySQL. I have a PostgreSQL database abstraction layer WRITTEN, but
I just need to know what kind of things I can throw at it, if you follow
me? In other words, I need to figure out what stuff will cross over from
MySQL to PostgreSQL as far as SQL syntax goes. Any links?

And YES i have a book ( PostgreSQL Developers Handbook by SAMS )  and YES
i am digesting it as fast as possible. ^_^  Thanks very much for any help
you can lend. I am sure I will have more n00bish questions in the future.

best regards,
dan