Re: Problem with Dump

От Ian Barwick
Тема Re: Problem with Dump
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Friday 23 August 2002 10:14, Hans Huber wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a problem with the pg_dumpall tool,
> because when I set the password option in the pg_hba.conf file the
> pg_dumpall always wants me to enter the password for every action the dump
> does and this are a lot of times.
>
> Has anybody a solution for that?

AFAIK utilities such as pg_dump prompt for the password but
won't accept it as a command line option, which makes password-based
authentication almost unusable when calling these utilities from a script.
(This is for security reasons, to avoid having plain text passwords
in world or group readable files).

For users connecting from the local machine who need to connect
without entering a password I use ident-based authentication, see:

http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?auth-methods.html

> mfg

ebenfalls

Ian Barwick