Re: Success: Finished porting application to postgreSQL

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: Success: Finished porting application to postgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 10:31:22AM +0200, Ralph Graulich wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>

> this will get a little lengthy posting, as there is lots of information to
> talk about. I hope it's interesting nonetheless.
>
> > Cool.  We keep hearing about how MySQL is faster than Postgres, so it's
> > always nice to see hard evidence that it ain't necessarily so.  Do you
> > have any thoughts about where the speedup came from --- for example,
> > were you able to rewrite queries into more efficient forms using PG's
> > extra features?

[snip]

Thats a very cool overview as to why certain features in postgresql are so
useful.

> * postgreSQL feels like a real database, whereas mySQL is an easy data
> storage containter (both may have its advantage in a specific
> environment).

That's exactly what I feel most.

> * I want to see better documentation for postgreSQL, especially for
> pl/pgSQL. I'd love to contribute to the documentation, but as I am not a
> native speaker of the english language, I'm afraid, I can't. Though a
> place with lots of pl/pgSQL-snippets would be nice (knowing of the
> cookbook already).

I have to say here, don't worry about the native language bit. If your email
here is anything to go on, your english is *fine*, easily good enough for
documentation. And even if you think it needs work, just posting it will let
any number of people check it.

Correcting text is easier that writing from scratch.