Re: [HACKERS] Linux Largefile Support In Postgresql RPMS

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Linux Largefile Support In Postgresql RPMS
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 08:02:05AM -0500, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-08-13 at 03:42, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> > Other operating systems where 64 bit file access can be disabled or
> > unconfigured require more care - possibly  (sigh) 2 binary RPMS with a
> > distinctive 32 and 64 bit label ...(I think the "big O" does this for
> > Solaris).
> Then, of course, there are systems where Largefiles support is a
> filesystem by filesystem  (read mountpoint by mountpoint) option (E.G.
> OpenUNIX).
>
> I think this is going to be a pandoras box.

I don't understand. Why would you want large-file support enabled on a
per-filesystem basis? All your system programs would have to support the
lowest common denomitor (ie, with large file support). Is it to make the
kernel enforce a limit for the purposes of compatability?

I'd suggest making it as simple as --enable-large-files and make it default
in a year or two.