Re: Postgres and Perl: Which DBI module?

От
Тема Re: Postgres and Perl: Which DBI module?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Around 23:01, +0100 Arguile arguile@lucentstudios.com wrote:

>On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 10:43, Phil Dobbin wrote:
>> That makes sense :-) I followed the example in the O'Reilly book (pp.25)
>> and it didn't look right. This does, however.
>
>For future reference: IIRC the instruction in that book are for
>installing the Pg module, which is a low level wrapper to libpq and NOT
>a DBI module.
>
>If you're wondering what it has over DBI... just a more verbose and
>closer to libpq syntax. Unlike some low level drivers I don't think this
>one gives any finer control than you can get with the DBD:Pg one (it's a
>wrapper for libpq as well). I'd personally suggest DBI for the
>consistant interface across DBMSs.

I was only questioning the syntax of setting the environment variable
generally that the book sets out (pp.25).

I _think_ Pg and DBD::Pg are the same thing, just different ways of
saying things (i.e. Pg module would be DBD::Pg). I called it from CPAN
after all ;-). In order to use DBI/DBD with postgres, it's the only way
to do it as far as I can see (``There's more than one way to do it" anon ;-)

O'Reilly's ``PostgreSQL" and ``Programming the Perl DBI" are both pretty
vague on this (I have both). I'll also post to dbi-perl and see what
gives (or what Tim Bunce sez...).

Regards,

Phil.