Re: [GENERAL] Stats Collector

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Stats Collector
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 04:21:24PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> However, the real question is what is the use-case for this feature
> anyway.  Why should people want to reset the stats while the system
> is running?  If we had a clear example then it might be more apparent
> what restrictions to place on it.

Well, you might want to use the statistics as part of a monthly
reporting cycle, for instance.  You could archive the old results,
and then reset, so that you have information by month.

Or you might have made a number of changes to a database which has
been running for a while, and want to see whether the changes have
had the desired effect.  (Say, whether some new index has helped
things.)

Or you might want to track whether some training you've done for your
users has been effective in teaching them how to do certain things,
which has resulted in a reduction of rolled back transactions.

Or you might just want to reduce your overhead.  If you want
statistics, but you are not allowed to shut down your database, you
have to keep the statistics until the next planned service outage.
Maybe you're generating a lot of data; it'd be nice to keep overhead
light on your production machines, so you could reset every week.

Those are some things I can think of off the top of my head.  I can
appreciate the security concern, however.  And you could probably
work around things in such a way that you could get all of this
anyway.  Still, if it's possible, it'd be nice to have.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3                                        +1 416 646 3304
x110