Re: WAL file location

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: WAL file location
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Thomas Lockhart writes:

> I've developed patches to be able to specify the location of the WAL
> directory, with the default location being where it is now. The patches
> define a new environment variable PGXLOG (a la PGDATA) and postmaster,
> postgres, initdb and pg_ctl have been taught to recognize a new command
> line switch "-X" a la "-D".

I'm not in favor of keeping this sort of information in environment
variables or in a command-line option.  It should be kept in permanent
storage in the data area.  (In other words, it should be stored in a
file.)  Consider, tomorrow someone wants to move the commit log or wants
to keep duplicate copies of either log.  We should have some extensible
structure in place before we start moving things around.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net