Re: Restore killing the backend

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Restore killing the backend
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 04:38:36PM -0400, Stephen Bacon wrote:

> I pg_dump'ed all the data from 7.1.3, yet when I try psql dbname < dumpfile
> it crashes, taking out postgres with it.

> Finally, after the error I usually have to restart the machine, as I get
> segmentation faults from other apps - which hints to me that there's a
> problem somewhere in an OS level library.
>
> Any ideas?

Test your memory.  It's possible you have some bad memory, and you
happen to exercise it by reading the big dumpfile and writing into
the database.  Once the bad bit is getting used, you keep running
into it; hence the subsequent segfaults.

There have been _a lot_ of hadrware-related problems reported lately.
For production use, if your data is worth anything at all, buy ECC
memory.  It's worth it, even though it's expensive.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110