Problem with LATIN2 encoding

От Ryszard Lach
Тема Problem with LATIN2 encoding
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Hi!

I thing I've read almos all documents possible to find using google
about character encoding and Java applications. Please, help me to
understand why my strings are not inserted to database correctly.

I'm using database in LATIN2 character set, postgresql7.2,
postgresql-7.2.jar, postgresql compiled with multibyte enabled (the
default configuration in Debian), application is a servlet running under
Tomcat4.0.3, jdk1.3.1 from Sun.

My database connection url contains 'charSet=LATIN2', but I'm not sure
if it should be encoding of the database. If yes, then client (JVM
running the servlet) working in UTF-8 should perform 'set
client_encoding to UNICODE' before running any inserts to inform
database engine about conversions, which it should perform, right ?

I suppose not, because it doesn't work, the field in the database is
being filled with question marks instead of every non-ASCII character.

Can anybody help me ?

regards,

Richard.

--
"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they
fight you. Then you win." - Mohandas Gandhi.