Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 July 2002 09:26 pm, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Lamar Owen wrote:
> > > If you doubt that fact, you need to read the archives for awhile to get a
> > > sense of how this project is organized.  If the steering committee (the
> > > core six) decide against something, then that something
>
> > I don't think you can just "shut down" a discussion about a name change.
>
> Well, you're right.  *I* can't shut anything down (except my server...).  But
> my reply was targeted to the 'who died and made you king' ad hominem.

And my reply was to those who wanted to shut down the discussion.
Lamar, you weren't one of them.

The discussion addressed a serious issue, specifically that though
PostgreSQL looks great on paper, with the Postgre* and the SQL, it is
hard to pronounce.

That was the issue, and people are free to make suggestions on how to
address it.  I think the only discussions we really shut down are those
that insult people or are blatantly disrespectful.  I think anything
else is open for discussion.

> > I think there is room for an "also called postgres" push among our users
> > and for marketing.  Oracle is changing the name of their server all the
> > time to position it for marketing so having a secondary name doesn't
> > hurt.  Our _official_ name is PostgreSQL.
>
> Is that like the Artist Formerly Known as Prince?  Now abbreviated to
> 'Artist'?  Why beat around the bush about our name?  This is confusion.

Sure, just call us Database.  Maybe Red Hat Database is a trend.  ;-)

Actually, Prince did that because his record company had rights to his
name for publishing for X years.  The contract finally ran out and I
think he is back to Prince.

Сообщение: Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly
Сообщение: Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly