Re: Installing Postgreql

От Jason Tishler
Тема Re: Installing Postgreql
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
Simon,

Please keep on your replies on-list.

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 04:33:16PM +0000, simon godwin wrote:
> Thanks for your prompt reply.  I'm still having trouble...

You are welcome.

> >On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 06:59:04PM +0000, simon godwin wrote:
> >> Default@PC
> >> $ psql template1
> >>
> >> ...and then it just hangs there!
> >>
> >> Hope you can give me some suggestions.  Thanks in anticipation.
> >
> >Are you using any firewall software?
>
> No, I've downloaded the tar ball on my PC at home.

OK, others have had hangs because of firewall software.

>  Do you see anything in the
> >postmaster log when you execute the above?
>
> How do I do that?

The log is usually in /var/log/postmaster.log.  Do you have such a file?

> What am I looking for?

Error messages.

> Are you using the latest
> >Cygwin (i.e, 1.3.10)?
>
> The version of Cygwin is off the Bham Uni CD

Sorry, I have never heard of the above.

> I can't see a way of checking the version - any suggestions as to
> where I would find this?

Use uname:

    $ uname -a
    CYGWIN_NT-5.0 TISHLERJASON 1.3.11(0.53/3/2) 2002-05-24 06:57 i686 unknown

> As far as I'm aware the tar ball I've downloaded from the Cygwin site
> is compatable with the version of Cygwin on the CD!

This is to be expected if the version of the Cygwin DLL on the Bham Uni
CD is a Cygwin Net Release (and not something like b20.1 or older).

> I'm still rather confused with the error message I'm getting when I
> initialise PostgreSQL...ie. Database system shut down at ....etc.
>
> Is this normal?

Yes.

> I suspect that I still haven't got my computer configured right!

Maybe.

> Should I abandon Windows98 altogether and install Linux?

The above is a personal choice so I can't help you with that decision.
Although, if you are going to use Windows, I recommend using NT/2000/XP
and instead of 9x/Me.

> Thanks for your time and effort,

You are welcome.

Jason