Re: What err ???

От Tim Ellis
Тема Re: What err ???
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Fri, 7 Jun 2002 16:44:16 -0500
"Nick Fankhauser" <nickf@ontko.com> wrote:

> > Is there some indexing strategy or backup regimen I could implement
> > that would make all this better?
>
> I don't understand the question- are you asking how to make databases
> created in access run better on postgresql, or how to move them to
> postgresql, or simply how to make the run better in access?
>
> Maybe if you restated the question you'd get some better responses.

Sure! No problem.

When boiled down to its essence, my problem is that I have users with
conflicting requirements (runs fast, is stable, and is a Microsoft-written
database).

It drives me nuts, so I want to just format their C: drive and migrate
their data & tables to Postgres (or Oracle or Sybase, it really doesn't
matter -- could be SOLID for all I care).

But I have a very low threshold of ability to communicate with these
users, so I just format their C: drive. Then my bosses put me on a Mac
Classic workstation. And gosh, Postgres doesn't compile on Mac Classic.

Since I'm a Database Administrator, and I like to solve problems by
analysing indexing strategies and modifying backup regimens, I was hoping
there was some technical solution to this very personal administration
problem (ie: users drive me nuts, I delete their data, my bosses relegate
me to the back corner of the copy room).

Okay. I'll fess up. I found it humorous that someone should ask a
question that amounted to: "I copied SQL directly from a Microsoft product
into a non-Microsoft product, and I'm surprised it didn't work." Thus, I
attempted (perhaps more poorly than necessary) to humorously ask another
completely off-base question that alluded to a common administrator's
problem: inability to communicate with users.

It was truly an administrative question, but presented possible technical
solutions that are entirely inappropriate to solve the problem.

Give me a break. It's a slow day. There are only 7 people left in the
office. :)

--
Tim Ellis
DBA, Gamet