Re: Java GUI development

От Bear Giles
Тема Re: Java GUI development
Дата
Re: Java GUI development  (Dave Cramer <Dave@micro-automation.net>)
Список pgsql-jdbc
> Is there anyone interested in collaborating on a Java GUI.

That's been on my 'possible projects' list, so I may be interested
in contributing.  I've also been playing with some Tomcat JSP tags
that may be a good complement to this project.  The goal of these
tags is to make it easy to write "am I sane?" views of the database -
basically a dump of each table, but with links so that you can easily
navigate between the tables.

E.g., if table foo has a foreign reference to table bar, then each
row in foo should have a link that shows the corresponding entry in
bar.  Contrawise, it would be nice if each row in bar had a link
that brought up all rows that accessed it.  (Then there's those
graphing applets that could show relationships between tables, and....
okay, I'll stop drooling now.)

JSP may be a good prototype tool for a standalone application.
It allows formatting to be quickly changed, so people can try out
different approaches, and the "input" could be handled by JSP
that catches forms.

> I am fairly
> confident I could handle the low end server interface to the tables, but
> am looking for someone with swing skills

I think one of the desireable goals of this type of project is as
a demonstration of how to access the database through Java, and
thus the project should use JDBC unless something entirely outside
of its interface is required.  This also helps make the application
thin and fast, since it's not doing much beyond constructing JDBC
queries and formatting the results.

Bear