Re: Java GUI development

От Dave Cramer
Тема Re: Java GUI development
Дата
Re: Java GUI development  (Tim Pizey <timp@paneris.org>)
Список pgsql-jdbc
Bear,

I had sort of been thinking about not using the JDBC API for this, but
you make a good point of it being a reference application for JDBC. I
did intend to use the driver code, but more of the lowlevel stuff for
speed reasons. One of the problems the driver has is that it fetches the
entire query before returning which could be problematic. I kind of like
the idea of some sort of cache for the query if it is large. Something
along the idea of a lazy load, where we would initially return the first
couple of pages, and then if the user scrolled down we would fetch
another couple of pages. If it were "really smart" it would only keep a
window of information in memory. That being said this may be an
opportunity to make the driver better too!

RE JSP tags: I personally favour templating tools like velocity, or
webmacro over jsp, but that's my personal taste (you can read the
arguments on www.servlets.com and form your own opinions). I do however
see the possiblity of writing the code so that it could be either a web
application, or a GUI application. I think that is a real attainable
goal using java.

Notionally the idea would be as follows:

The database is more or less object oriented as it is, ie pg_tables,
pg_trigger, pg_index, etc. can all be easily modelled as objects. So the
entire structure of the db can be loaded and accessed, by either the
gui, jsp, or templating code.

Thoughts?

Dave