Re: File systems backup problem

От Rajesh Kumar Mallah.
Тема Re: File systems backup problem
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi There,

does the postmaster start successfully in you case.
i feel you are not specifying the right $PGDATA folder.

if you installed from RPM it shud be /var/lib/pgsql/data/
in redhat 7.2

i would suggest you start the postmaster in foreground and
observer the messages , if every thing is alright.

you can do it like this.

$ su -
# su - postgres
$ /usr/bin/postmaster -D  /var/lib/pgsql/data  -d 2  <enter>

observer for messages here........

it might go for recovery and it shud say
"database system is ready".

i would also suggest not connecting or
attemping to connect to it while recovering..

or better make tcpip_socket=false in postgresql.conf
while recovering..

please do not panic, we are here for all the help
;-)

regds
mallah.

On Thursday 23 May 2002 04:07 pm, l.malaspina@focal.fr wrote:
> I'm new to postgresql . I use the version 7.2 on RedHat 7.2
>
> I have made a mistake.  I drop a database but not the good database.
> And I have a file systems backup.
> But what I didn't know until now, is that the postmaster should be stop in
> order to make the backup.
> So when the backup is made, the postmaster isn't stop.
> And now when I want to use the backup in order to restore the database I
> drop, this doesn't work.
> The files are restored but when I restart the postmaster and want to
> connect to the restored database,
> the postmaster reply that it doesn't know the database in the system
> catalog.
>
> Is there a solution to repair the database  ?
>
> In advance, thanks for your reply.
>
> Malaspina Loic
> www.focalsystems.fr

Rajesh Kumar Mallah,
Project Manager (Development)
Infocom Network Limited, New Delhi
phone: +91(11)6152172 (221) (L) ,9811255597 (M)

Visit http://www.trade-india.com ,
India's Leading B2B eMarketplace.