Re: Cannot (re)start PostgreSQL

От Lamar Owen
Тема Re: Cannot (re)start PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Monday 06 May 2002 12:04 am, Tom Lane wrote:
> "otisg" <otisg@iVillage.com> writes:
> > Is there a way to get a more verbose error message from PostgreSQL that
> > will tell me why I can't start the DB?

> I'd venture that your /etc/rc script is preventing Postgres from telling
> you anything useful.  Try starting PG by hand ... or at the very least,
> find out what the script is doing with the postmaster's error output.

For debugging purposes, either editing /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql to change
the output redirect, or enabling syslog as documented in
/usr/share/doc/postgresql-7.2 (or 7.2.1, as applicable).

> There are way too many of those scripts that think routing stderr
> to /dev/null is a good idea.

And until our stderr is rollable it will remain a good idea.  Sorry.  Syslog
is the best bet with our current non-rollable stderr.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Сообщение: Re: Cannot (re)start PostgreSQL
Сообщение: Re: Cannot (re)start PostgreSQL