Re: Fwd: Postfix Relay Hub SMTP server: errors from postgresql.org[64.49.215.8]

От Paul M Foster
Тема Re: Fwd: Postfix Relay Hub SMTP server: errors from postgresql.org[64.49.215.8]
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 11:39:23PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> writes:
> > On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 08:42:20PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Hmm.  So does this one.  You sure you're not inserting that yourself?
>
> > Guaranteed. I'm using mutt on Red Hat 7.2, with no provision for
> > massaging outbound mail that way.
>
> Nonetheless, *something* in your outgoing mail path is sticking in the
> errors-to header.

I'll bet you it's not. Samples of other outgoing mail show no such
Errors-To header.

Oddly enough, this email from you shows an Errors-To header with your
email address in it, whereas most others show the previously mentioned
address for the Errors-To.

> It's not postgresql.org (unless you think that that
> machine is singling you out for special mistreatment).

I believe it is. Though I suspect it has to do with the address I'm
sending to or somesuch. But again, I'm probably on fifteen other lists,
and none of the others act this way. Thus I must assume it is
configuration on the postgresql listserv.

> Given the
> header ordering:

> Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 23:16:03 -0400
> From: Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com>
> To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
>
> I'd be inclined to bet that glatton.cnchost.com is the culprit.
> But you shouldn't rule out the possibility that it's your own
> machine doing it.

As I understand it, that particular header is mandated by RFC to be in
that spot, and has no bearing on who put it there or how.

Glatton is one of a rotating set of smtp hosts on XO. One of many, all
configured identically. Your postulate and the observed behavior would
imply that somehow I manage to get glatton every time I post to the pg
list, and only when I post to the pg list. Not possible.

My captures of outbound mail indicate no such Errors-To header in any of
them; in fact, no Errors-To header at all. I also know that Exim (my
MTA) isn't configured to do anything like this.

In any case, this is really off topic, and I don't want to aggravate the
people on the list any more with it. Hopefully, the list admin will
contact me. Tom, if you want to continue this, we can do it offlist.

Paul

Сообщение: Re: Subject: bool / vacuum full bug followup
Сообщение: Re: Subject: bool / vacuum full bug followup