Re: DataBlades

От Jean-Michel POURE
Тема Re: DataBlades
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Le Jeudi 11 Avril 2002 11:28, Philip Reimer a écrit :
> Does PostgreSQL support the integration of extension packages like
> Informix' Datablades, Oracle's Cartridges or IBM's Extenders?

PostgreSQL can be easily programmed with server-side languages, comparable to
Oracle concept of "Cartridges". Available languages are: C language, PLpgSQL
(PL language), PLpgPerl (Perl language), PLpython (Python language), PLtcl
(TCL language). A java implementation is on the way, but I don't know when it
will be released. Does anyone know when it will be released?

More information on server-side languages are available from
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?programmer-pl.html

Other extensions are available in the Contrib area (ex: pgCrypto) which will
give you example how easy PostgreSQL can be extented using C language.

Just for information, if you are running Linux or Solaris, it is possible to
run bash scripts using PLbash (very easy and powerfull).

More information can be found at
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?programmer-server.html.

Maybe you should also have a look at pgAdmin2 (http://pgadmin.postgresql.org),
PostgreSQL Windows GUI, which provides an integrated developement environment
for managing PostgreSQL and writing server-sides scripts.

We all come from a closed world with "cartridges", "extensions", "gold" or
"silver" packs, "integrated" solutions, "e-commerce", which are concepts for
fools.

Do not hesitate to test PostgreSQL, which is by far the most advanced
open-source database available today and has a large community of users and
developpers.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE