Re: Postgres and Foxbase

От Paul M Foster
Тема Re: Postgres and Foxbase
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 06:37:15PM -0500, Paul M Foster wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 09:53:28AM -0500, David Siebert wrote:
>
> > There is a guy at my office trying to use Postgres with ODBC and
> Foxbase. He
> > is having a terrible time with it. He can not eseem to get it to see the
> > data and or views he has created. The ODBC driver seems to work fine with
> > access and excel for him but not Foxbase.
> > I can not help him because I have no need or want to learn "Foxbase" I will
> > stick with Java thank you.
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Foxbase was the predecessor to FoxPro. I doubt anything knows how to
> talk to Foxbase, it's so old. Now, if you really meant to say FoxPro,
> there should be ODBC drivers around for FoxPro. At about version 3 or so
> of FoxPro, Microsoft mangled the file format, so you'll have to know
> whether it's prior to or later than version 3. If FoxPro ODBC drivers
> won't work, try dBase III. The file format is almost identical. However,
> the index and memo files are different.

Ohmygosh, I completely forgot about this. I wrote a program called
dbfsak (originally called dbfdump) on SourceForge. It was originally
designed to dump the contents of dBase/FoxPro/Clipper files in
human-readable content. But later, I added the capability to dump a
dBase/FoxPro/Clipper file in PostgreSQL SQL format. Naturally, source
is available.

I can't believe I forgot that I wrote that. Maybe that would help.

Paul