Re: Locale support

От Jean-Michel POURE
Тема Re: Locale support
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Le Jeudi 14 Février 2002 11:13, Manuel Trujillo a écrit :
> I need to support the japanish language, for example, and I need when a
> make a query to database, with PHP, the results are in japanish.
> Can the database make this directly, or I need to make this via php
> programation, making a php connection with postgres with the appropiate
> arguments?

You need a unicode production chain : database + php apache server.

A single unicode database can host several languages (Arabic, Traditional
Chinese, Russian). There is no need to use several charsets. So I assume you
would prefer a Unicode backend.

1) Creation of a Unicode database
You can use pgAdmin (http://pgadmin.postgresql.org) to create a Unicode
database. But pgAdmin will not display Unicode information.

Alternatively, use psql and create a Unicode database with :
CREATE DATABASE foo WITH ENCODING = 'Unicode';

2) Apache + Php
Use Php and Apache as usual. Please note your webpages should:
a) be saved in UTF-8 format. If you need to convert web pages to Unicode, use
iconv or recode utilities.
b) begin with <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
charset=utf-8">. This will tell the browser to switch to Unicode format.
c) Verify that your browser has Japanese fonts installed. Visit Japan Yahoo,
this should suffice as a test.

Hope this is enough,
Cheers, Jean-Michel POURE