Re: Resources

От Stephan Szabo
Тема Re: Resources
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Gurudutt wrote:

> I have a pentium III server, running on RHL 7.1 with 256 MB RAM,
>
> The following is output of the "top" command for query which involves
> fetch from a table with about MAX of 10,000 rows.
>
> -------------------------------------TOP------------------------------
>   PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
>
>  3174 postgres  19   0  3328 3328  2672 R    99.0  1.3   0:58 postmaster
>  1199 nobody     9   0  3728 3728  2704 S     0.5  1.4   0:03 httpd
>  3035 root      10   0  1048 1048   840 R     0.3  0.4   0:15 top
>     1 root       8   0   544  544   472 S     0.0  0.2   0:04 init
>     2 root       9   0     0    0     0 SW    0.0  0.0   0:00 keventd
>     3 root
>

> Now, my question is, it takes ages(2 mints) for the query to run (regularly
> VACUUM ANALYZED Database) and if you look closely at the resources
> consumed by the postgres, it is almost taking away 100% CPU time.
>
> How can we make it faster and to consume less resources ??
>
> Can anybody suggest the steps they are taking for time-critical
> applications to run efficiently.

An important thing is checking the explain output for the query.  If you
want to  post the schema, query and explain output, we might be able to
come up with suggestions on that level.

You may also want to look at your ram usage.  The default shared buffers
and sort memory are very low and you'll probably want to raise them.
You don't want to make them too big because you want to leave memory for
disk caching, but you can raise them to low thousands and see if that
helps.