Re: How do I vacuum safely? And how often should I reindex

От Marc Spitzer
Тема Re: How do I vacuum safely? And how often should I reindex
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 11:29:02AM +0100, Florian Helmberger wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > > 2: how often should I reindex my db, are there any standards
> > >    or accepted practices out there
> >
> > I recreate my indices every week, or after any extensive updates or
> > deletes.  Again, I believe that 7.2 has some new stuff to deal with this
> > issue.
>
> This brings me to another point. Is it really necessary to recreate indices
> if you vacuum analyze your database regulary (say, every once in a week)?
>
> Cheers,
> Florian

In my exp absolutely, I have a db that adds and deletes +1,000,000
rows a day.  If you dont have much change in your db then it should
not matter much, not much space wasted.  I hope this will change for
the better in 7.2, I have to start coming up to speed on 7.2.

marc