Re: [GENERAL] Rules

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Rules
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane writes:
> >> For 7.3, we should either fix psql or remove the option to use square
> >> brackets in rule action lists.  Comments anyone?
>
> > I'd certainly be for removing this since no one could ever really have
> > used this, but this feature seems so unusual, perhaps there was a reason
> > for it?
>
> My guess is that the syntax predates psql, or at least predates psql's
> current ideas about splitting up queries.  It's possible that someone
> out there is entering square-bracket-delimited rule lists via a non-psql
> interface, but I doubt it.  I'd vote for elimination of the syntax,
> I think.

    You're right. The [] syntax was used in Postgres 4.2 and well
    supported by monitor(1).

    Adding the parens as alternative was - uhm - a workaround for
    not  beeing  able to get square brackets through psql at some
    point, but I'm not sure if that was in 6.4 or 6.5.

    Anyway, let's rip out the square brackets.

Jan