Re: OCTET_LENGTH is wrong

От Karel Zak
Тема Re: OCTET_LENGTH is wrong
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 02:34:56PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> There have been three ideas of what octet_length() sould return:
>
>     1) compressed on-disk storage length
>     2) byte length in server-side encoding
>     3) byte length in client-side encoding
Very nice is possibility of choice... What add everything:
   octet_length_storage()   octet_length_server()   octet_length_client()and problem of right choice put to user. And
thestandard octet_length() make as alias to 1) or 2) or 3) -- depend on result of this discussion.

> The open question is whether we should be doing #3.  If you want to use
> octet_length to allocate space on the client side, #3 is really the
If Tom needs be sure, he can uses octet_length_client().

> proper value, as Tom has argued.  Tatsuo is happy with #2.

...and Tatsuo can uses octet_length_server(). The important thing
is that both will still happy :-)
       Karel

-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/C, PostgreSQL, PHP, WWW, http://docs.linux.cz,
http://mape.jcu.cz

От: Karel Zak
Сообщение: Re: import/export of large objects on server-side
От: Tatsuo Ishii
Сообщение: Re: OCTET_LENGTH is wrong