Re: Storing a tree

От knut.suebert@web.de
Тема Re: Storing a tree
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Antonio Fiol Bonnín schrieb:
> If you consider the approach using multiple trees, it may have quite a good
> performance even for something like a threaded message board, if you think
> of each thread as a different tree. Then trees are not enormous, and so
> updates would not be so slow.
>
> Performance will be poor, however, when updating very large trees.

Hello Antonio,

how would you organize multiple trees?

Multiple trees in one table made by multiple top level entries
wouldn't help, as far as I understand that model. It seems more a
question, if the update/insert is in the left or right wing of the
tree - maybe it could help a bit to make the tree grow in both
directions (lowering left to <0 or altering rgt), depending on where
the insert happens.

The hard and expensive things become easy and cheap -- and vice versa,
I fear.

Bye,
Knut Sübert