Re: Storing a tree

От Micah Yoder
Тема Re: Storing a tree
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Saturday 10 November 2001 10:08 am, Antonio Fiol Bonnín wrote:
> If you consider the approach using multiple trees, it may have quite a good
> performance even for something like a threaded message board, if you think
> of each thread as a different tree. Then trees are not enormous, and so
> updates would not be so slow.
>
> Performance will be poor, however, when updating very large trees.

Ok, I guess you're right.  I was thinking all messages in a large database
would be in the same tree.  Of course, they would all be in the same table,
but it would just need a 'toplevel' field for the root message ID for the
thread (which may itself need to be in another table), and with an index on
that field it shouldn't be too bad.

--
Like to travel?                        http://TravTalk.org
Micah Yoder Internet Development       http://yoderdev.com